I had this problem enough times that I wanted to capture the solution.
First of all, credit goes to Craig Lussier on the Technet forms, his post has the full solution and background.
I used the above solution and it worked great.
I also found a script that I did not try. The script is described as being able to change this setting system wide by looping through each document library in each subsite of a given site – it could come in handy. (the script is by the same poster – Craig Lussier – Thanks Craig!
The code below is from the first link above, I’ve copied it here in case MS ever changes the link structure and the original post can’t be found.
# SPAssignment $gc = Start-SPAssignment #Get Web $web = $gc | Get-SPWeb "http://yourspweburl" #Get Document Library $docLib = $web.lists["Your Document Library Title"] #View all properties/methods of the Document Library and you'll see that BrowserFileHandling is a property $docLib | Get-Member #See the current BrowserFileHandling setting for the Document Library $docLib.BrowserFileHandling #If you need to change it from Strict to Permissive $docLib.BrowserFileHandling = "Permissive" $docLib.Update() # End SPAssgment $gc | Stop-SPAssignment